Welcome to the website of the American Translators Association’s (ATA) Science and Technology Division (S&TD). Take a look around to learn more about us. If you are a professional translator or interpreter and are not already a member of ATA or the division, we encourage you to join here.
A Nominating Committee was formed by acclamation at the Annual Meeting of the Division during the ATA Conference in Chicago. Its members (Abigail Dahlberg, Patricia Thickstun, and Steve Marzuola) will have a full year to select candidates for the 2015 S&TD elections. The minutes of the Annual General Meeting can be found on the blog and on the "Official Business" section of the website.
We have posted three new presentations to the website's "Conference Materials" section:
- "Chromatography for Technical Translators", by Matthew Schlecht, PhD
- "Grannies, Freds and LSD: A Non-Pedestrian Introduction to Bicycles", by Carola F. Berger
- "Terminology in Integrated Circuits and Semiconductor Manufacturing", by Di Wu
The ATA 55th Annual Conference Mobile App is now available, featuring a variety of scheduling and networking tools. You can:
- Create a personal profile to share with attendees and vendors
- Upload your resume
- View handouts and slides
- Submit evaluations
- Contact speakers
- Create a personal schedule and receive schedule updates
- Find local attractions and restaurants
The app can be accessed through web browsers and several devices (iPhones, iPads, or Android phones/tablets). Attendees will receive a username and password by email after registration. See http://www.atanet.org/conf/2014/app.htm for additional details.
The ATA 55th Annual Conference in Chicago (November 5-8) is fast approaching!
- Early registration ends on October 3.
- New hotel rooms have been made available at the DoubleTree Chicago Magnificent Mile.
- Join us for the following division events:
- Open House at 7pm on Wednesday, November 5
- Dinner at 7pm on Thursday, November 6
- Breakfast Meeting at 7:30am on Friday, November 7
- Annual Meeting at 12:45pm on Friday, November 7
Payment for the S&TD dinner must be received by October 29. Please see the blog for the menu and payment details.
* A summary of the upcoming S&TD presentations is now available on the blog: "ATA Science & Technology Division 2014 Program," by Matthew Schlecht.
ATA's 55th Annual Conference in Chicago (November 5-8, 2014) is fast approaching!
- Early registration ends on October 3rd [http://www.atanet.org/conf/2014/register.htm]. ATA members can save $80 over the standard registration fee. Registered attendees will be able to begin using the conference app later this month.
- The Science & Technology Division will hold a networking dinner at Emilio’s Tapas, one of Chicago's most popular restaurants (winner of a Critics’ Choice Award for 5 years in a row).
Thursday, November 6 at 7:00pm
215 East Ohio Street
Chicago, IL 60611
(312) 467-7177 | www.emiliostapas.com
RESERVATION AND PAYMENT:
Price (includes tax and gratuity): $55.00 per person if paying by check, $56.00 per person if paying by Paypal (to yarborough.translations[at]gmail[dot]com). Payment must be received on or before Wednesday, 10/29/2014.
Please send checks to:
4400 Chalfont Place
Bethesda, MD 20816