Members provide updates to share with the French Language Division. If you have a professional update you would like to share, please email it to us at email@example.com.
- Nelia Fahloun won the “Translate in Cambridge” (2016) EN>FR translation contest. The announcement of her award was made in 2017. The source text and her winning translation are available here: https://www.
translateincambridge.com/fr/ concours-de-traduction/ and her translation is number 8 in the list. In addition, Nelia’s first published translations were released in 2017, four chapters in a book on youth policy in Europe (L’Europe de la jeunesse) for the Presses de l’EHESP (École des hautes études en santé publique).
- Ben Karl graduated with an MBA from the University of Nevada, Reno in July 2017. Congratulations, Ben!
- Nanette McGuinness had three French graphic novel translations released in 2017:
– Sea Creatures: Reef Madness #1 – (Papercutz, January 24, 2017)
- California Dreamin’: Cass Elliot Before the Mamas & the Papas – (First Second, March 7, 2017)
– Sea Creatures #2: “Armed & Dangerous – (Papercutz, May 23, 2017)
- Jenn Mercer and Carolyn Yohn co-translated Can Finance Save the World? by former World Bank director Bertrand Badré (originally published in French as Money Honnie). The translation was released on January 30, 2018, by Berrett-Koehler Publishers,. It includes forwards by both Emmanuel Macron and Gordon Brown. More information is available here: https://www.amazon.com/Can-Finance-Save-World-Regaining/dp/1523094214
- Dr. Bruce D. Popp‘s translation of Poincaré’s On the Three-Body Problem and the Equations of Dynamics has been published and can be found here: http://www.springer.com/us/book/9783319528984#aboutBook. In addition, at the 58th ATA Conference held in October 2017 in Washington, D.C., Bruce was awarded the S. Edmund Berger Prize for his translation of Henri Poincaré’s classic work. See the FLD newsletter article on this for more information.
- Valeriya Yermishova is an FLD member and both a French and Russian to English translator. Her first Russian > English translation was published. in July 2017. It was The Life of a Bishop’s Assistant by Viktor Shklovsky and the translation was published by Dalkey Archive Press.