American Translators Association JLD
Facebook Private Discussion Policy and Etiquette
version date: March 17, 2021
Private Discussion Group Policy
The ATA JLD Private Discussion Group is provided by the JLD of the American Translators Association (ATA) as a communication tool for its members. It is a members-only privilege and benefit. An individual member can join this group. An organizational member’s contact person can also join this group.
By joining and using this JLD Private Discussion Group, you agree that you have read and will adhere to the policies established below. Both ATA and the JLD reserve the right to suspend or terminate access to this list by any user who does not abide by these policies.
Legal Rules without Exception
- The ATA JLD Private Discussion Group is an online exchange forum subject to the same anti-trust rules that apply to all Association meetings and all communications in Association media. Therefore,
- Do not post material that includes discussions of rates, and material that includes specific rates, fees, or changes therein, as specified in ATA Antitrust Compliance Policy (see https://www.atanet.org/governance/governance_policystatement.php).
- Do not post material that interferes with the ability of others to do business, including the disclosure of information developed solely for a company’s or an individual’s conduct of business (trade secrets) or any suggestion, exhortation, or other statement about refraining or refusing to do business with any person or entity.
- When posting on the ATA JLD Private Discussion Group, you must bear in mind that you are responsible and can be held legally liable for what you write. Therefore,
- Do not post any racist, sexist, discriminatory, defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, embarrassing, insulting, or illegal material.
- Do not post material that infringes on any person or entity’s names, copyright, trademark, or other intellectual property; to be safe, assume that all material is copyrighted unless the author has explicitly stated that the material is in the public domain.
- You agree and represent that any you have the right to use and submit any information, content, or material to the listserv and also grant any other listserv participant the right to copy, reproduce, or otherwise use any such information, content, or material that you post.
- Do not make accusations against any individual or a legal entity. Any accusation may be considered defamatory even if it is based on sources that are generally reliable or credible. It is preferable to list only facts you can document.
- Request information about specific individuals or entities to be provided to you in private. If you have such information, provide it to the requestor in private.
Private Discussion Group Etiquette
- This is forum is dedicated to the discussion of issues related to translating and interpreting in Japanese.
- The discussion is about issues, not personalities. Although views may differ, all list users are expected to maintain a respectful and polite tone at all times.
- Sign your postings with your real name.
- Do not challenge or attack others. Postings on the JLD Private Discussion Group are meant to stimulate conversation, not to create contention. Let others have their say, just as you expect to be heard.
- Do not post sales or promotional messages.
- Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Check your facts. Avoid stating your opinions as facts.
- When creating a post, be as descriptive as you can. (Ex.:“Please help” or “Delete if not allowed” is not descriptive; “EN-JP Leg. ‘to plead no contest’” is.)
- Avoid “subject creep.” If the subject of a thread has changed, create a new post.
- Be brief and to the point. When answering a message, back-quote only the relevant portion, rather than the entire message or the entire thread.
- Do not use all caps in your post or message body. All caps are perceived as shouting.
- If you see an item on the web that you think might be of interest to the JLD Private Discussion Group, forward the URL only, rather than the entire item or article, to the list.
- Use the JLD Private Discussion Group only if you wish to simultaneously reach all users to the JLD Private Discussion Group. If you want to respond to only the person who posted something to the list, you should respond with a private message to that member.
ATA, its officers, directors, and employees, and the moderators of this forum, assume no responsibility for the opinions and information posted on this site. By joining the JLD Private Discussion Group, you, the user, agree to release, hold harmless, indemnify, and defend the ATA, its officers, directors, and employees, and the moderators, from any and all legal or civil actions, claims, damages, costs, or penalties arising from messages you have posted on the JLD Private Discussion Group.
ATA or JLD does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and, as a rule, does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any posting that violates these policies is brought to ATA’s or the moderators’ attention, appropriate action will be taken, which may include a warning, temporary suspension, or permanent removal from the list.