From the University of Michigan Health System Interpreter Services Program
Mastering complex medical terms can be hard. UMHS Interpreter Services’ Medical Terminology and Body Systems course makes it easier.
This great 40-hour course is ideal for medical interpreters, and everyone who works in the medical field. It teaches the Word Building Technique, which helps you decipher medical terms by dividing them into three basic parts: the prefix, root and suffix. By learning common prefixes, suffixes, and root words, you can easily make sense of even the most complex terms. It’s a quick, efficient and amazingly easy way to learn medical terminology.
Each class also covers a different body system, including terms and phrases used during specific appointments, diagnoses, tests and procedures. The course includes weekly homework, tests, games, role playing and a final exam that students must pass to receive a Certificate of Completion.
The course is divided into five all-day workshops:
- Workshop 1: Welcome and Introduction to Word Building/The Body/Skeletal and Muscular Systems
- Workshop 2: More suffixes/Special Senses/Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems
- Workshop 3: More prefixes/Gastrointestinal System/Respiratory System
- Workshop 4: Medical Specialties/Endocrine System/Nervous System/Special topics: Pain and Cancer
- Workshop 5: Reproductive and Urinary Systems/Review of Word Building Technique/Final exam
Medical Terminology and Body Systems is open to everyone. It is language neutral, and all materials and instructions are presented in English. If you’re a medical interpreter, the course is an ideal way to prepare for the National Certification exam and/ or to earn continuing education hours.
Time: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
Duration: 5 weeks
Dates: Wednesdays, 10/9/13 – 11/6/13
Location: UMHS Interpreter Services’ Traverwood office, 2025 Traverwood Dr., Suite A4, Ann Arbor, MI
Teacher: Rita Galin
Cost: $280 for all five workshops (for general public) or $265 for UMHS interpreters (lunch and books are included). Register and pay online at: