The Interpreters Division provides this calendar of upcoming events (conferences, webinars, workshops, etc.) that may be of interest to interpreters. The calendar also includes training events offered by ATA members to other ATA members. These training events must provide either continuing education credits or a member-to-member discount or be sponsored by a non profit.
To add an event, please follow these instructions.
This year’s past events are greyed out.
English <> Spanish Translation Certification Exam Preparation by Teleconference
- Date and location: Teleconference – January 8-May 20, 2020
- Trainer: Helen Eby
- Description: This online course is designed for EN/ES translators interested in taking a translation certification exam, including, but not limited to, the ATA Certification Exam.* What sets our course apart is the individualized feedback each student receives from their weekly homework. When received on time, instructors review each homework assignment and balance the need for a professional edit with the pedagogic purpose of the assignment to provide relevant and helpful feedback before the next class.
- Credits: 10 language-specific CE credits granted by Court Language Access Services (Oregon) for Oregon Court Interpreters; 44 professional CEU for WA AOC for Washington state credentialed interpreters – including rollover credits (number 308). WA DSHS, #163 – 2 CEUs per session attended (max 44 CEUs).
- Website: https://www.gauchatranslations.com/training/ata-spanish-translation-certification/
Interpreting in School Settings
- Date and location:
- Webinar – January 11, 10am-1pm MST
- Webinar – January 18, 10am-1pm MST
- Presenter: Dr. Holly Silvestri has been a freelance translator interpreter for several years. She has a PhD in linguistics from Middlebury College. In addition, she is a senior lecturer in the University of Arizona Translation and Interpretation Spanish major and is the Senior Coordinator for Curriculum, Training, and Translation at the National Center for Interpretation in Tucson, AZ. She has a significant amount of experience interpreting in educational settings in a variety of states and countries and is currently a certified teacher in NY, AZ, MA, and CT. Her working languages are Spanish and French.
- Description: National Center for Interpretation (NCI) is happy to announce two webinars designed for interpreters of any languages working in school settings. Interpreting in schools present unique challenges. These webinars will help prepare you to meet them.
- Website: https://nci.arizona.edu/workshop-schedule
Trauma Informed Interpreting
- Date: January 16, 2020 03:00 PM CST
- Location: Webinar
- Description: An introduction into the human body’s response to trauma, how we can use an understanding of trauma to assist us as interpreters while working with trauma survivors and methods for dealing with the secondary and vicarious trauma we so often experience. Please note that $25.00 of every registration fee will go directly to benefit Catholic Charities Archdiocese of New Orleans, Immigration and Refugee Services.
- Website: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/5015779962301/WN_HO6JhoGcRMmbw9AqwxrhHg
AIIC Training of Trainers Seminar for teachers of conference interpreting
- Date: Jan 31-Feb 3, 2020
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Description: This seminar – to be led by Sophie Llewellyn Smith – will provide teachers of conference interpreting with an introduction to online interpreter training, and will include a practical component as well as a discussion of good practice and basic principles. There will be plenty of opportunities to ask questions, exchange experience, and try out the format.
- Website: https://aiic.net/events/821/aiic-training-of-trainers-seminar-online-interpreter-training-tried-and-tested-principles-tools-and-tips-for-effective-webinars-and-coaching-sessions-31-jan-2020
Career Bootcamp for Interpreters
- Date: February 22-23
- Location: Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey, Monterey, CA
- Presenter: Ewandro Magalhaes
- Description: Benefit from the 30+ years of experience of a former Chief Interpreter in the UN system, senior diplomatic interpreter and technology evangelist. Acquire the exact knowledge, tools, and wisdom you’ll need to jumpstart your freelancing career, expand your client base, embrace technology or land that dream job.
- Credits: The 16-hour workshop, which is approved by the ATA for 10 Continuing Education Points (CEPs), will cover four major areas impacting your short- and long-term career planning.
- Website: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/career-bootcamp-for-interpreters-in-monterey-tickets-90437177031
56-Hour Medical Interpretation Course
- Dates: March 7-April 18, 2020; May 9-June 20, 2020 (more dates)
- Location: Silver Spring, MD 20910
- Presenter: Brian Thornton
- Description: The 56 hour medical interpretation course goes well beyond the traditional 40-hour medical health interpreter training program. Added features include detailed instruction in the areas of anatomy, physiology, procedures, and mental health interpreting. This program also serves to prepare interpreters to pass the National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreter Exams.
- Website: https://ad-astrainc.com/training-testing/
- Credits: 5.6 CEU’s
ATA Webinar: Understanding Remote Simultaneous Interpreting
- Date: March 18, 2020 Sold out
- Location: Webinar
- Presenter: Liz Essary has nearly two decades of experience as a Spanish<>English interpreter and trainer. Her work as a conference interpreter has taken her from interpreting for large sales conferences to working at smaller venues in film and academia.
- Description: Remote simultaneous interpreting, or RSI, is here to stay. Will you sit on the sidelines or get on board?
- Website: http://www.atanet.org/webinars
InterpretAmerica 2020: An Online Event to Help Us Ensure Access to Interpreting
- Date: March 26 at 8:00 AM PDT / 11:00 AM EDT
- Location: Online meeting
- Description: 2020 is InterpretAmerica’s 10th anniversary year. We had been planning a celebratory event. But now, COVID-19 has crashed into everyone’s world and up-ended our beloved profession in a matter of weeks. We now know what our focus needs to be. We are organizing the first in what we hope will be a series of free, online meetings where our field can meet, take stock, and get unified to face the extreme disruption COVID-19 is causing to our profession….
- Website: https://www.interpretamerica.com
Free* Webinar: Temporary Transition to Remote Interpreting during health emergencies: Guidance and tips for language access stakeholders
- Date: March 28 at 12:00 Noon Eastern / 11:00 AM Central / 9:00 AM Pacific
- Presenters: Wilma Alvarado Little (moderator), Nick Arce, MA, MS, CHI, CPXP (presenter), and Jody Prysock, MS, CI (presenter)
- Description: NCIHC has been monitoring developments of the coronavirus, COVID-19 that has been declared a pandemic by the World Health Organization. Healthcare organizations and interpreters are suddenly found in a situation with face-to-face interpreting may need to be done via telephonic or video interpreting. We brought together specialists in both signed and spoken language interpreting on how to make a temporary transition to these platforms. As disruptions continue to happen, we hope to bring you a webinar that will help stakeholders to assure language access. We will continue to stay abreast of what is happening and address issues as possible regarding the impact to all stakeholders, from healthcare providers to interpreters. *This webinar is free for live viewing. If you are a member, the recorded webinar will also be free.
If you are not a member, the recorded webinar will be $30 to view.
- Website: ncihc.org
Carolina Association of Translators & Interpreters (CATI) 2020 Conference
March 28, 2020Postponed
- Location: Raleigh, NC
- Description: The Carolina Association of Translators and Interpreters (CATI) will have our Annual Conference on Saturday, March 28, 2020 at Meredith College in Raleigh, NC. The conference will be followed by the ATA Certificate Exam on Sunday, March 29, 2020 at Meredith as well. Keynote Speaker: Irene Bruno, Senior Diplomatic Spanish Interpreter at the U.S. Department of State.
- Website: https://catiweb.org/
AAIT 2020 Annual Conference
March 28, 2020Cancelled
- Location: Atlanta
- Description: Atlanta Association of Translators and Interpreters Annual Conference.
- Website: https://aait.org/march-28-aait-2020-annual-conference
NCIHC Annual Membership Meeting
April 30-May 1, 2020Rescheduled to April 2021
- Location: Portland, OR
- Website: ncihc.org
10th Annual Colorado Translators Association Conference
May 1-3, 2020Canceled
- Location: Boulder, CO
- Description: Colorado Translators Association (CTA) annual conference.
- Website: https://cta-web.org
2020 Court Interpreter Training Institute (CITI)
- Date and location: Online for the month of June, at the University of Arizona July 6-17
- Description: The CITI is one of the country’s premier Spanish/English court interpreter trainings. In its 37th year, the CITI is a hybrid training offered online during June, followed by two weeks at the University of Arizona in July intensively practicing interpreting skills with the CITI’s exceptional, federally certified instructors. Sponsored by the University of Arizona National Center for Interpretation
- Website: https://nci.arizona.edu/training/citi
NAJIT 41st Annual Conference (NAJIT2020)
- Date: June 5-7, 2020
- Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Website: https://najit.org/annual-conferences/
co>lab interpreting intensive
- Date and location:
- Cuernavaca, Mexico – January 19-23, 2020
- Toronto, Canada – July 27-31, 2020
- Description: Co>lab is a week-long, peer-based practice intensive for conference interpreting professionals. We think of co>lab as our yearly training camp, where we can play with certain language combinations, subject domains, and modalities in a safe, supportive environment. It also serves as a chance to learn from our colleagues and challenge any fixed ideas of ourselves and our vocation.
- Website: https://colabinterpreting.com/colab-cuernavaca/
ATA 61st Annual Conference
- Date: October 21-24, 2020
- Location: Boston, Massachusetts
- Website: https://www.atanet.org/conf/
XXII FIT World Congress
- Date: December 3-5, 2020
- Location: Varadero, Cuba
- Website: https://www.fit-ift.org/events/world-congress/
- ATA Calendar of Events
- Upcoming ATA Webinars
- Events posted on the AIIC website
- FIT Calendar of Events
- CCHI Interpreting Industry Events
- NCIHC Home for Trainers webinars
- Interpreter Education Online – Webinars
- NCI Workshop Schedule
- eCPD Webinars (UK)
- List of Events by the European Commission Knowledge Centre on Interpretation
- For local events, check your interpreters and translators associations website
- Past Events
Updated: March 2020
Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash