The Interpreters Division provides this calendar of upcoming events (conferences, webinars, workshops, etc.) that may be of interest to interpreters. The calendar also includes training events offered by ATA members to other ATA members. These training events must provide either continuing education credits or a member-to-member discount or be sponsored by a non profit.
Divisions may maintain calendars on their websites listing events/courses that have been approved for continuing education points, that offer an ATA member-to-member benefit, or that are organized by a non-profit organization [ATA Divisions Handbook]
To add an event, please follow these instructions.
This year’s past events are greyed out.
Workshop: Effective presentations for professionals
- Dates: Every two weeks, for five sessions, starting on January 13, 2021
- Location: Online by teleconference (interactive platform with breakout rooms)
- Presenters: Lesley Andrews and Helen Eby
- Description: This series of five workshops of an hour and a half each will support interpreters and translators who give presentations to professionals. This will be through an interactive platform with breakout rooms where participants can practice the skills presented and demonstrated by the instructors. Therefore, there will be no recordings.
- CEUs, ATA Member Discount, or sponsored by a Non Profit: Approved for 7 ATA CEPs. Discount for members of professional associations (code: MEMBER)
- Website: https://www.gauchatranslations.com/training/effective-presentations-for-professionals/
ATA Webinar: Setting goals for your freelance translation or interpreting business
- Date: January 14, 2021
- Presenter: Madalena Sánchez Zampaulo
- Description: Setting realistic goals for your business can be a daunting task. Where do you start? What is the right combination of ambition and reason? How often do you assess your progress and adjust your tactics? In this fifth episode of ATA’s Back to Business Basics Webinar Series, presenter Madalena Sánchez Zampaulo will examine steps to developing realistic goals, how to turn goals into achievements, when to reevaluate your process, and ways to handle the unexpected.
- Website: https://www.atanet.org/webinars/
ATA Webinar: The New Remote Interpreting Landscape: Back to the Hack
- Date: January 26, 2021
- Presenter: Katharine Allen
- Description: By the end of 2020, every platform that offered remote communication is being used to deliver interpreting services—Google Meets, Zoom, Facetime, Facebook livestream, and more—regardless of their suitability for the job. The result? Interpreters are being asked to accommodate a never-ending number of hacks to force square pegs through round holes just to make these platforms work. Register to attend “Back to the Hack” to learn how to make sense of the new remote landscape and strategies for handling it.
- Website: https://www.atanet.org/webinars/
Virtual Language Advocacy Day 2021
- Date: February 3-5, 2021
- Description: Organized by the Joint National Committee for Languages (JNCL), Language Advocacy Day (or LAD for short) is part “lobby-day” and part full-day policy forum that brings together national representatives of the Language Enterprise concerned about the state of language learning in this country.
- Website: https://www.languagepolicy.org/language-advocacy-day
Winter Multi-language Literary Translation Workshop
- Date: February 13 – March 20, 2021
- Location: Online platform available only to participants
- Presenter: Allison A. deFreese
- Description: From sight translations required of interpreters on the job, to researching terminology, translating and interpreting are interconnected. Becoming a world-class translator improves interpreting skills. This workshop, open to both emerging and established translators, provides the opportunity to practice translating historical or contemporary texts from diverse countries and cultural contexts.
- CEUs, ATA Member Discount, or sponsored by a Non Profit: Approved for five ATA CEUs and sponsored by a nonprofit, ATA affiliate the Oregon Society of Translators and Interpreters (OSTI)
- Website: https://ostiweb.org/event-4113608
Innovation in Interpreting Summit 2021
- Date: February 23-25, 2021
- Hosts: Alexander Drechsel and Josh Goldsmith
- Description: Join 25+ experts and discover the best tools and strategies to take the stress out of technology.
- Website: https://www.innovationininterpreting.com
NAJIT Academy webinar – Unringing the Bell: can interpreters unknow what they already know?
- Date: March 13, 2021 1-3 PM ET
- Presenters: Austin W. Andrews, Carie L. Barrett, and Janis Palma
- Description: This is an interactive webinar with three presenters, two ASL interpreters—Austin Andrews and Carie Barrett—and one spoken language interpreter—Janis Palma—, who will explore the different roles and functions of sign and spoken language interpreters in legal settings, and the concept of “bleed”, or how prior knowledge from an interpreting event may or may not interfere with a subsequent interpreting event. Read more
- CEUs, ATA Member Discount, or sponsored by a Non Profit: Approved for ATA and other groups CEUs and sponsored by a non-profit organization (NAJIT).
- Website: https://najit.org/najit-academy/
MICATA 2021 Virtual Conference
- Date: March 26-27, 2021
- Description: MICATA, the Mid-America Chapter of the American Translators Association, is holding its first virtual conference on March 26/27. This virtual conference has been approved by ATA for 5 CE points per day and CCHI has approved it for 8.75 CEs in total. Three CCHI CE hours are for the medical workshop on Friday and 5.75 are for Saturday sessions.
- Website: http://www.micata.org/annual-conference/registration
ATA 62nd Annual Conference
- Date: October 27-30, 2021
- Location: Minneapolis, MN
- Get ready for ATA62: https://vimeo.com/474908492
- ATA Calendar of Events
- Upcoming ATA Webinars
- Events posted on the AIIC website
- FIT Calendar of Events
- CCHI Interpreting Industry Events
- NCIHC Home for Trainers webinars
- Interpreter Education Online – Webinars
- NCI Workshop Schedule
- eCPD Webinars (UK)
- List of Events by the European Commission Knowledge Centre on Interpretation
- For local events, check your interpreters and translators associations website
- Past Events
Updated: March 2021
Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash