Workshop: Effective presentations for professionals
- Dates: Every two weeks, for five sessions, starting on January 13, 2021
- Location: Online by teleconference (interactive platform with breakout rooms)
- Presenters: Lesley Andrews and Helen Eby
- Description: This series of five workshops of an hour and a half each will support interpreters and translators who give presentations to professionals. This will be through an interactive platform with breakout rooms where participants can practice the skills presented and demonstrated by the instructors. Therefore, there will be no recordings.
- CEUs, ATA Member Discount, or sponsored by a Non Profit: Approved for 7 ATA CEPs. Discount for members of professional associations (code: MEMBER)
- Website: https://www.gauchatranslations.com/training/effective-presentations-for-professionals/
ATA Webinar: Setting goals for your freelance translation or interpreting business
- Date: January 14, 2021
- Presenter: Madalena Sánchez Zampaulo
- Description: Setting realistic goals for your business can be a daunting task. Where do you start? What is the right combination of ambition and reason? How often do you assess your progress and adjust your tactics? In this fifth episode of ATA’s Back to Business Basics Webinar Series, presenter Madalena Sánchez Zampaulo will examine steps to developing realistic goals, how to turn goals into achievements, when to reevaluate your process, and ways to handle the unexpected.
- Website: https://www.atanet.org/webinars/
ATA Webinar: The New Remote Interpreting Landscape: Back to the Hack
- Date: January 26, 2021
- Presenter: Katharine Allen
- Description: By the end of 2020, every platform that offered remote communication is being used to deliver interpreting services—Google Meets, Zoom, Facetime, Facebook livestream, and more—regardless of their suitability for the job. The result? Interpreters are being asked to accommodate a never-ending number of hacks to force square pegs through round holes just to make these platforms work. Register to attend “Back to the Hack” to learn how to make sense of the new remote landscape and strategies for handling it.
- Website: https://www.atanet.org/webinars/
Virtual Language Advocacy Day 2021
- Date: February 3-5, 2021
- Description: Organized by the Joint National Committee for Languages (JNCL), Language Advocacy Day (or LAD for short) is part “lobby-day” and part full-day policy forum that brings together national representatives of the Language Enterprise concerned about the state of language learning in this country.
- Website: https://www.languagepolicy.org/language-advocacy-day
Winter Multi-language Literary Translation Workshop
- Date: February 13 – March 20, 2021
- Location: Online platform available only to participants
- Presenter: Allison A. deFreese
- Description: From sight translations required of interpreters on the job, to researching terminology, translating and interpreting are interconnected. Becoming a world-class translator improves interpreting skills. This workshop, open to both emerging and established translators, provides the opportunity to practice translating historical or contemporary texts from diverse countries and cultural contexts.
- CEUs, ATA Member Discount, or sponsored by a Non Profit: Approved for five ATA CEUs and sponsored by a nonprofit, ATA affiliate the Oregon Society of Translators and Interpreters (OSTI)
- Website: https://ostiweb.org/event-4113608
Innovation in Interpreting Summit 2021
- Date: February 23-25, 2021
- Hosts: Alexander Drechsel and Josh Goldsmith
- Description: Join 25+ experts and discover the best tools and strategies to take the stress out of technology.
- Website: https://www.innovationininterpreting.com
NAJIT Academy webinar – Unringing the Bell: can interpreters unknow what they already know?
- Date: March 13, 2021 1-3 PM ET
- Presenters: Austin W. Andrews, Carie L. Barrett, and Janis Palma
- Description: This is an interactive webinar with three presenters, two ASL interpreters—Austin Andrews and Carie Barrett—and one spoken language interpreter—Janis Palma—, who will explore the different roles and functions of sign and spoken language interpreters in legal settings, and the concept of “bleed”, or how prior knowledge from an interpreting event may or may not interfere with a subsequent interpreting event. Read more
- CEUs, ATA Member Discount, or sponsored by a Non Profit: Approved for ATA and other groups CEUs and sponsored by a non-profit organization (NAJIT).
- Website: https://najit.org/najit-academy/
MICATA 2021 Virtual Conference
- Date: March 26-27, 2021
- Description: MICATA, the Mid-America Chapter of the American Translators Association, is holding its first virtual conference on March 26/27. This virtual conference has been approved by ATA for 5 CE points per day and CCHI has approved it for 8.75 CEs in total. Three CCHI CE hours are for the medical workshop on Friday and 5.75 are for Saturday sessions.
- Website: http://www.micata.org/annual-conference/registration
NAJIT 42nd Virtual Annual Conference
- Date: June 5 to June 13, 2021
- Description: NAJIT’s Annual Conference is the premier event for language professionals and stakeholders of language services. Our conference provides a unique opportunity to network with language professionals. Earn continuing education credit while attending insightful educational sessions focusing on the profession.
- Website: https://najit.org/najit2021/
Webinar: A Special Education Primer for Interpreters Working in Public Schools
June 24, 2021 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM CDTUpdate: Webinar has been postponed, future date TBD.
- Organizer: Midwest Association of Translators & Interpreters (MATI)
- Presenter: Elizabeth Watkins
- Description: This presentation will provide a basic overview of the structure and process of special education services for students with disabilities and the roles of interpreters within that system. Participants will learn about the federal laws and Supreme Court cases that underpin the special education systems in all states, including the types of disabilities that are recognized at the federal level. Read more
- Website: matiata.org
ATA Webinar Series: Practical Strategies to Capture Notes Virtually When Providing Remote Interpreting
- Date: June 30 / 11:00 am – 12:00 pm EDT
- Presenter: Armando Ezquerra Hasbun
- Description: Discover free technology resources to improve your remote interpreting services. The pandemic has forced us to adapt to interpreting from home. In this webinar we will review basic and advanced pointers on how to use low-cost or free programs and applications you may already have to capture information, bypassing the traditional approach of handwritten note-taking strategies. Read more
- Website: https://www.atanet.org/event/practical-strategies-to-capture-notes-virtually-when-providing-remote-interpreting/
ATA Webinar Series: Interpreting Insults from Spanish into Your Target Language
- Date: June 30 / 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm EDT
- Presenter: Darinka Mangino
- Description: Learn how to handle expletives during an interpreting encounter to convey the message more accurately. Even seasoned interpreters have a hard time making the right choice when dealing with big words and colloquial expressions when content is more emotional than technical. Read more
- Website: https://www.atanet.org/event/interpreting-insults-from-spanish-into-your-target-language/
ATA Webinar Series: Getting and Incorporating Feedback
- Date: July 8 / 12:00 pm – 12:45 pm EDT
- Presenter: Ben Karl
- Description: This webinar will delve into the importance and benefits of getting feedback from both clients and colleagues, informal and formal editing relationships, and a roadmap for adding a feedback loop into every translation workflow. Read more
- Website: https://www.atanet.org/event/getting-and-incorporating-feedback/
ATA Webinar Series: ATA Member Orientation
- Date: July 22 / 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm EDT
- Presenter: Meghan Konkol
- Description: Start your membership off on the right foot by learning how to take advantage of all the benefits ATA has to offer! Attend this free one-hour member orientation session for a roadmap to the “what, why, and how” of member benefits. Read more
- Website: https://www.atanet.org/event/ata-member-orientation/
Visit the current Events page for upcoming 2021 interpreting-related events.
English <> Spanish Translation Certification Exam Preparation by Teleconference
- Date and location: Teleconference – January 8-May 20, 2020
- Trainer: Helen Eby
- Description: This online course is designed for EN/ES translators interested in taking a translation certification exam, including, but not limited to, the ATA Certification Exam.* What sets our course apart is the individualized feedback each student receives from their weekly homework. When received on time, instructors review each homework assignment and balance the need for a professional edit with the pedagogic purpose of the assignment to provide relevant and helpful feedback before the next class.
- Credits: 10 language-specific CE credits granted by Court Language Access Services (Oregon) for Oregon Court Interpreters; 44 professional CEU for WA AOC for Washington state credentialed interpreters – including rollover credits (number 308). WA DSHS, #163 – 2 CEUs per session attended (max 44 CEUs).
- Website: https://www.gauchatranslations.com/training/ata-spanish-translation-certification/
Interpreting in School Settings
- Date and location:
- Webinar – January 11, 10am-1pm MST
- Webinar – January 18, 10am-1pm MST
- Presenter: Dr. Holly Silvestri has been a freelance translator interpreter for several years. She has a PhD in linguistics from Middlebury College. In addition, she is a senior lecturer in the University of Arizona Translation and Interpretation Spanish major and is the Senior Coordinator for Curriculum, Training, and Translation at the National Center for Interpretation in Tucson, AZ. She has a significant amount of experience interpreting in educational settings in a variety of states and countries and is currently a certified teacher in NY, AZ, MA, and CT. Her working languages are Spanish and French.
- Description: National Center for Interpretation (NCI) is happy to announce two webinars designed for interpreters of any languages working in school settings. Interpreting in schools present unique challenges. These webinars will help prepare you to meet them.
- Website: https://nci.arizona.edu/workshop-schedule
Trauma Informed Interpreting
- Date: January 16, 2020 03:00 PM CST
- Location: Webinar
- Description: An introduction into the human body’s response to trauma, how we can use an understanding of trauma to assist us as interpreters while working with trauma survivors and methods for dealing with the secondary and vicarious trauma we so often experience. Please note that $25.00 of every registration fee will go directly to benefit Catholic Charities Archdiocese of New Orleans, Immigration and Refugee Services.
- Website: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/5015779962301/WN_HO6JhoGcRMmbw9AqwxrhHg
AIIC Training of Trainers Seminar for teachers of conference interpreting
- Date: Jan 31-Feb 3, 2020
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Description: This seminar – to be led by Sophie Llewellyn Smith – will provide teachers of conference interpreting with an introduction to online interpreter training, and will include a practical component as well as a discussion of good practice and basic principles. There will be plenty of opportunities to ask questions, exchange experience, and try out the format.
- Website: https://aiic.net/events/821/aiic-training-of-trainers-seminar-online-interpreter-training-tried-and-tested-principles-tools-and-tips-for-effective-webinars-and-coaching-sessions-31-jan-2020
Career Bootcamp for Interpreters
- Date: February 22-23
- Location: Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey, Monterey, CA
- Presenter: Ewandro Magalhaes
- Description: Benefit from the 30+ years of experience of a former Chief Interpreter in the UN system, senior diplomatic interpreter and technology evangelist. Acquire the exact knowledge, tools, and wisdom you’ll need to jumpstart your freelancing career, expand your client base, embrace technology or land that dream job.
- Credits: The 16-hour workshop, which is approved by the ATA for 10 Continuing Education Points (CEPs), will cover four major areas impacting your short- and long-term career planning.
- Website: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/career-bootcamp-for-interpreters-in-monterey-tickets-90437177031
56-Hour Medical Interpretation Course
- Dates: March 7-April 18, 2020; May 9-June 20, 2020 (more dates)
- Location: Silver Spring, MD 20910
- Presenter: Brian Thornton
- Description: The 56 hour medical interpretation course goes well beyond the traditional 40-hour medical health interpreter training program. Added features include detailed instruction in the areas of anatomy, physiology, procedures, and mental health interpreting. This program also serves to prepare interpreters to pass the National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreter Exams.
- Website: https://ad-astrainc.com/training-testing/
- Credits: 5.6 CEU’s
ATA Webinar: Understanding Remote Simultaneous Interpreting
- Date: March 18, 2020 Sold out
- Location: Webinar
- Presenter: Liz Essary has nearly two decades of experience as a Spanish<>English interpreter and trainer. Her work as a conference interpreter has taken her from interpreting for large sales conferences to working at smaller venues in film and academia.
- Description: Remote simultaneous interpreting, or RSI, is here to stay. Will you sit on the sidelines or get on board?
- Website: http://www.atanet.org/webinars
InterpretAmerica 2020: An Online Event to Help Us Ensure Access to Interpreting
- Date: March 26 at 8:00 AM PDT / 11:00 AM EDT
- Location: Online meeting
- Description: 2020 is InterpretAmerica’s 10th anniversary year. We had been planning a celebratory event. But now, COVID-19 has crashed into everyone’s world and up-ended our beloved profession in a matter of weeks. We now know what our focus needs to be. We are organizing the first in what we hope will be a series of free, online meetings where our field can meet, take stock, and get unified to face the extreme disruption COVID-19 is causing to our profession….
- Website: https://www.interpretamerica.com
Free* Webinar: Temporary Transition to Remote Interpreting during health emergencies: Guidance and tips for language access stakeholders
- Date: March 28 at 12:00 Noon Eastern / 11:00 AM Central / 9:00 AM Pacific
- Presenters: Wilma Alvarado Little (moderator), Nick Arce, MA, MS, CHI, CPXP (presenter), and Jody Prysock, MS, CI (presenter)
- Description: NCIHC has been monitoring developments of the coronavirus, COVID-19 that has been declared a pandemic by the World Health Organization. Healthcare organizations and interpreters are suddenly found in a situation with face-to-face interpreting may need to be done via telephonic or video interpreting. We brought together specialists in both signed and spoken language interpreting on how to make a temporary transition to these platforms. As disruptions continue to happen, we hope to bring you a webinar that will help stakeholders to assure language access. We will continue to stay abreast of what is happening and address issues as possible regarding the impact to all stakeholders, from healthcare providers to interpreters. *This webinar is free for live viewing. If you are a member, the recorded webinar will also be free.
If you are not a member, the recorded webinar will be $30 to view.
- Website: ncihc.org
Carolina Association of Translators & Interpreters (CATI) 2020 Conference
March 28, 2020Postponed
- Location: Raleigh, NC
- Description: The Carolina Association of Translators and Interpreters (CATI) will have our Annual Conference on Saturday, March 28, 2020 at Meredith College in Raleigh, NC. The conference will be followed by the ATA Certificate Exam on Sunday, March 29, 2020 at Meredith as well. Keynote Speaker: Irene Bruno, Senior Diplomatic Spanish Interpreter at the U.S. Department of State.
- Website: https://catiweb.org/
AAIT 2020 Annual Conference
March 28, 2020Cancelled
- Location: Atlanta
- Description: Atlanta Association of Translators and Interpreters Annual Conference.
- Website: https://aait.org/march-28-aait-2020-annual-conference
NCIHC Annual Membership Meeting
April 30-May 1, 2020Rescheduled to April 2021
- Location: Portland, OR
- Website: ncihc.org
10th Annual Colorado Translators Association Conference
May 1-3, 2020Canceled
- Location: Boulder, CO
- Description: Colorado Translators Association (CTA) annual conference.
- Website: https://cta-web.org
The Remote Interpreter Webinar Series #4: Guidelines for Healthcare Remote Interpreters
- Date: Live session delivered: April 30, 2020, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. ET
- Description: Interpreting in a specialized field such as healthcare requires certain skills, protocols and best practices. The goal is to provide quality language access in healthcare. When you interpret encounters remotely, however, there are special considerations and challenges. You have to adjust to not being physically present and learn to leverage non-verbal cues and environmental dynamics. (Read more)
- Presenters: Presenters: Tatiana Cestari, PhD, CHI, Director of Language Service Advocacy, MARTTI, and Danielle Meder, RID-NIC, Senior Director of Interpretation, Quality, United Language Group
- Website: https://www.interpretertraining-online.com/webinars
Live Webinar: Reclaiming language access in U.S. Latino communities during COVID-19: Patient-centeredness at risk?
- Date: Wednesday, May 20 2-3:30 p.m. (EST)
- Description: The webinar ultimately aims to stimulate dialogue about our hopes for what ‘patient-centeredness’ can look like for U.S. Latino patient populations. We hope to highlight crucial places that require immediate intervention, ideally in collaboration with applied linguists, if we are to improve health outcomes for LEP Latino populations, especially in this urgently time-sensitive moment of COVID-19.
- Organized by: College of Arts and Sciences, The Ohio State University
- Website: https://u.osu.edu/languageaccessresearch/
Online training: Zoom Interpretation
- Date: 22 June 2020 – 4:00 pm – 7:30 pm GMT+1
- Location: Online
- Presenter: Maha El-Metwally
- Description: For interpreters to be able to advise their clients, they need to educate themselves first about the available options on the remote interpreting arena. Zoom Interpretation is a feature of Zoom web conferencing which is useful for interpreters to know. In this training, you will learn many things including: how to set up a Zoom meeting with interpreting, solutions to hear your colleague and take relay from other booths, and you will be able to test drive this platform.
- Website: https://allevents.in/online/80001070107450
2020 Court Interpreter Training Institute (CITI)
- Date and location: It will begin with a series of webinars in June followed by two weeks of intensive, online instruction from July 6-17 Updated
- Description: The CITI is one of the country’s premier Spanish/English court interpreter trainings. In its 37th year, the CITI is a hybrid training offered online during June, followed by two weeks at the University of Arizona in July intensively practicing interpreting skills with the CITI’s exceptional, federally certified instructors. Sponsored by the University of Arizona National Center for Interpretation
- Website: https://nci.arizona.edu/training/citi
NAJIT 41st Annual Conference (NAJIT2020)
June 5-7, 2020Cancelled
- Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Website: https://najit.org/annual-conferences/
co>lab interpreting intensive
- Date and location:
Toronto, Canada – July 27-31, 2020Cancelled
- Description: Co>lab is a week-long, peer-based practice intensive for conference interpreting professionals. We think of co>lab as our yearly training camp, where we can play with certain language combinations, subject domains, and modalities in a safe, supportive environment. It also serves as a chance to learn from our colleagues and challenge any fixed ideas of ourselves and our vocation.
- Website: https://colabinterpreting.com/colab-cuernavaca/
ATA Webinar: The Remote Interpreter’s Companion
- Date: August 19, 2020
- Time: 12 noon U.S. Eastern Daylight Time
- Presenters: Alexander Drechsel and Josh Goldsmith
- Description: Scribbling on a piece of paper is so 2019. Especially in times like these, technology can help break down walls with collaboration tools–particularly during distance interpreting. [read more]
- Website: ATA Webinar Series
OSTI 2020 Virtual Conference
- Date: Sep. 12-13 and Sep. 19-20 | Via Zoom
- Description: The Oregon Society of Translators and Interpreters 2020 Virtual Conference offers 30+ sessions spanned over 2 weekends and cover many topics of interest for interpreters, network opportunities, open mic, and more!f
- Website: www.OSTIweb.org
Spanish Writing Mini-session
- Date: Weekly on Thursdays from 5:15 to 7:15 for two hours, for five sessions, starting on September 17, 2020
- Location: Online by teleconference. Homework must be turned in two days before each session.
- Presenters: Helen Eby and Daniela Guanipa
- Description: Interpreters often write at appointments. Therefore, improving their writing skills will improve their services. Their writing skills in their PR materials and their communication with clients will also improve their ability to work with clients. In addition, writing skills are a prerequisite to translation. Many interpreters provide some translation services.
- CEUs, ATA Member Discount, or sponsored by a Non Profit: ATA member discount, CEUs granted by Oregon and Washington courts.
- Website: https://www.gauchatranslations.com/training/spanish-writing-2/
MATI 2020 Webinar Series – An Interpreter’s Survival Guide: A Proactive Approach to Navigating Work as a Subcontractor
- Date: October 10, 2020 | 7:30 PM – 8:30 PM (CDT)
- Presenter: Liz Essary
- Description: Midwest Association of Translators and Interpreters (MATI) 2020 Webinar Series – Interpreters receive training on skills and ethics, but can be left bewildered as they navigate the market as subcontracted interpreters. Some simple tips from a voice of experience can go a long way in creating a more comfortable, confident work life for subcontracted interpreters. In this webinar, the presenter will guide participants in: identifying questions to ask before accepting an assignment, understanding how to prepare for an assignment when there’s no information, identifying possible surprises and how to prepare for them, and recognize the importance of creating a community of self-care among colleagues. This webinar is appropriate for interpreters of any level of experience working in any setting. Interpreters who are new to working with agencies, or who struggle to navigate difficult situations will especially benefit from the content.
- Website: https://www.matiata.org/event-3756573
ATA 61st Annual Conference
- Date: October 21-24, 2020
- Location: Virtual! Registration is open now!
- Website: https://ata61.org
14th TAHIT Annual Educational Symposium
- Date: November 20-21, 2020
- Location: Virtual!
- Description: The Texas Association of Healthcare Interpreters and Translators (TAHIT) invites to submit a presentation proposal for its 14th annual event which will take place on November 20-21, 2020.
- Website: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2020-tahit-symposium-call-for-presenters-registration-117467300859
AIIC Private Sector Market (PRIMS) meeting
- Date: January 12-13
- Location: London, UK
- Organizer: AIIC
- Website: https://aiic.net/page/8710/prims-is-coming-to-london/lang/1
- Date: January 24
- Location: Mexico City, Mexico
- Website: https://www.lenguas2019.com
think! Interpreting 6: GALA 2019
- Date: January 24-27
- Location: Munich, Germany
- Organizer: GALA
- Website: https://www.gala-global.org/all-events/gala-2019-munich
Preparation in the 21st century
- Date: January 27
- Location: Mexico City, Mexico
- Presenters: Darinka Mangino and Maha El-Metwally
- Website: https://aiic.net/events/669/preparation-in-the-21st-century-27-jan-2019
Language Advocacy Day 2019
- Date: February 14-15
- Location: Washington, DC
- Organizer: Joint National Committee for Languages (NJCL)
- Website: https://www.tickettailor.com/events/jointnationalcommitteeforlanguages/196463
ATA Law Seminar
- Date: February 16
- Location: Jersey City, NJ
- Website: https://www.atanet.org/events/law_jerseycity.php
NCTA Workshop: Tips and Tricks for Freelance Conference Interpreters
- Date: February 23
- Location: San Francisco, CA
- Presenter: Cyril Flerov
- Website: https://ncta.org/event/workshop-tips-and-tricks-for-freelance-conference-interpreters/
NOTIS Event: Interpreting for Ethically Difficult Situations
- Date: February 23
- Location: Mt. Vernon, VA
- Website: https://www.notisnet.org/event-3168106
CHIA Annual Educational Conference
- Date: March 8-9, 2019
- Location: Sacramento, CA
- Website: http://www.chiaonline.org/2019-Annual-Educational-Conference
ATA Interpreter Connections
- Date: March 23, 2019
- Location: Toronto, ON
- Description: The ATA Interpreters Division Get Together.
- Website: https://bit.ly/2BXBv05
MICATA Annual Conference
- Date: March 22-24, 2019
- Location: Overland Park, KS
- Description: MICATA annual conference will open with an all-day pre-conference workshop on Prenatal Genetics for Interpreters and continue with a full day of presentations on interpreting, translation & resources.
- Credits: The conference has been approved for a total of 13 ATA CEUs (6 CEUs for Friday workshops, 7 CEUs for Saturday all-day conference). The workshop on Interpreting for Prenatal Genetics has been approved for 5 CEUs by the CCHI.
- Website: http://www.micata.org/annual-conference/conference-schedule
- Date: March 24-27, 2019
- Location: Munich
- Website: https://www.gala-global.org/conference/gala-2019-munich/think-interpreting
NOTIS Event: Code of Professional Responsibility for Judiciary Interpreters & Transcription
- Date: March 30, 2019
- Location: Redmond, WA
- Description: Event presented by the Legal Division of the Northwest Translators and Interpreters Society (NOTIS).
- Website: https://www.notisnet.org/event-3272909
CATI Annual Conference
- Date: March 30, 2019
- Location: Spartanburg, SC
- Description: Carolina Association of Translators & Interpreters annual conference.
- Website: https://catiweb.org/cati-annual-conference/
Long Consec Techniques and Technology
- Date and Location:
- April 13: Pomona, CA
- April 14: San Jose, CA
- May 5: Boston, MA
- Presenters: Maha El-Metwally and Darinka Mangino
- Description: In this one-day course, interpreters will be introduced to the long consecutive mode, techniques and exercises to hone their short-long consecutive skills. In addition, technology relevant to consecutive will be shared to augment skills and present an alternative to traditional methods.
- Credits: 6 CIMCE credits, 6 CCHI CEUs, 0.6 NBCMI CEUs and 6 CEPs from ATA
- Website: https://lexica-cultural-bridges.webnode.com/ (California editions) | http://tech-for-terps.webnode.com (Boston edition)
2019 Annual NETA Conference
- Date: May 4, 2019
- Location: Boston, MA
- Description: New England Translators Association 23rd Annual Conference.
- Website: http://www.netaweb.org/2019-Conference
ITI Conference 2019
- Date: May 10-11, 2019
- Location: Sheffield (UK)
- Website: https://www.iti-conference.org.uk/
NAJIT 40th Annual Conference
- Date: May 17-19, 2019
- Location: Nashville, TN
- Website: https://najit.org/najit2019/
2019 Florida Court Interpreter Conference
- Date: May 23-24, 2019
- Location: Crystal River, FL
- Website: http://www.circuit5.org/programs-services/2019-florida-court-interpreter-conference/
13th NCIHC Annual Membership Meeting
- Date: May 30-June 1, 2019
- Location: Philadelphia, PA
- Description: 13th National Council on Interpreting in Health Care Annual Membership Meeting. All attendees are required to be NCIHC members.
- Website: https://www.ncihc.org/2019-amm
Utah Language Access Conference
- Date: June 14-15, 2019
- Location: Murray, UT
- Description: Event organized by the Utah Translators and Interpreters Association.
- Website: http://www.utianet.org
2019 IMIA One-Day Regional Conference in Maryland
- Date: June 21, 2019
- Location: Olney, MD
- Description: International Medical Interpreters Association One-Day Regional Conference in Maryland
- Website: https://imiaweb.org/
Know Your Worth: Understanding Marketing and Negotiating for Interpreters
- Dates and locations:
- July 6-7, St Petersburg, Russia
- August 26-27, Montreal, Canada
- September 7-8, Las Palmas, Canary Islands
- Presenter: Julia Poger
- Description: Do clients insist on treating you like a commodity? How can you change your client relationships so they recognize your worth? Learn how to interact with prospects and clients, to improve your relations and earn more.
- Credits: “If students request it, they can receive ATA CEUs. The training is 6 hours a day, for two days.”
- Website: kyw-seminar.com
AIIC Refresher Course: Note-taking for Consecutive Interpreting
- Date: July 13, 2019
- Location: San Francisco, CA
- Description: Full-day Refresher Course with AIIC interpreter and trainer David Violet, organized by AIIC USA. This course will provide a review of the interpreting process and work step-by-step through the building blocks of consecutive with notes. (…)
- Website: https://aiic.net/events/785
2019 OSTI Annual Conference: Bridges Across Borders
- Date: September 14-15, 2019
- Location: Clackamas Community College Harmony Campus West Building: 7726 S.E. Harmony Road, Milwaukie, Oregon 97222
- Organizer: Oregon Society of Translators and Interpreters
- Description: Join us for another stellar lineup! Interpreters and translators can choose from three different tracks, which include a variety of exciting topics guaranteed to appeal to legal and medical interpreters and translators alike. Our format allows attendees to network, learn, and connect all in a high- energy and inclusive environment. Presenters: Aimee Benevides (Keynote), Yasmin Alkashef, Kenneth Barger, Mary Behar, Allison deFreese, Helen Eby, Andrea Henry, Eliana Lobo, Julie Samples, Ellen Tilden, Dr. Therese Tuohy
- Website: http://ostiweb.org/2019-conference/
3rd Annual Interpreters and Translators Conference 2019
- Date: September 27-28, 2019
- Location: Irvine, CA
- Organizer: Orange County Department of Education (OCDE) Educational Services Division
- Description: The 3rd Annual Interpreters and Translators Conference will focus on offering our participants the opportunity to engage more in-depth with nationally and internationally recognized experts in the field and explore techniques to enhance interpretation and translation skills. This annual conference is a major educational event for bilingual staff, educators, and community stakeholders committed to ensure proper language use in school settings and the community we serve.
- Website: https://ocde.k12oms.org/eventdetail.php?id=157285
NOTIS 2019 Annual Conference
- Date: September 28-29, 2019
- Location: The Museum of Flight, 9404 East Marginal Way S., Seattle, WA 98108
- Organizer: Northwest Translators and Interpreters Society
- Description: The NOTIS 2019 Conference features expert speakers from across the US and Mexico, covering a wide variety of topics. Skills-based workshops are available for both interpreters and translators. Come join us to strengthen your knowledge and explore new fields. The event includes networking opportunities and a job fair.
- Credits: CEUs approved by: ATA (9 total), OJD (10 total: 8.5 general, 1.5 Spanish language-specific), WA AOC (15 total: 6.5 general, 8.5 performance-based). CEUs pending for: CA CIMCE and WA DSHS.
- Website: https://www.notisnet.org/Annual-Conference
International Translation Day
- Date: September 30, 2019
100 Years of Conference Interpreting
- Date: October 3-4, 2019
- Location: Geneva, Switzerland
- Description: The University of Geneva (FTI) joins the ILO in celebrating their centenary by co-hosting an event around the theme “Looking back and looking forward!” to take stock of the most noteworthy achievements of the past and critically discuss the most prominent challenges of the future in conference interpreting practice, research and training.
- Website: https://www.unige.ch/fti/conf1nt100/conference-theme/
ATA 60th Annual Conference
- Date: October 23-26, 2019
- Location: Palm Springs, CA
- Website: http://www.atanet.org/conf/2019/
2019 IMIA One-Day Regional Conference in Oregon
- Date: November 1, 2019
- Location: Portland, OR
- Description: International Medical Interpreters Association One-Day Regional Conference in Oregon
- Website: https://imiaweb.org
AIIC 37th Assembly – Valencia (Spain)
January 25 5 p.m. PST / 8 p.m. EST
Webinar: Become a Certified Medical Interpreter in the US. Presented by Gloria M. Rivera (register here)
Language Advocacy Day – Washington, DC
AIIC USA Seminar Understanding Marketing and Negotiating for Interpreters with Julia Poger – Washington, DC
California Healthcare Interpreting Association (CHIA) 18th Annual Education Conference – Irvine, CA
think! Interpreting – InterpretAmerica — Boston, MA
Spring into Action — Miami, FL
April 6 – 5pm PDT / 7 pm CDT / 8pm EDT
Course: Preparation in the 21st Century: SPEAKING, Corpora and Paperless Environments. Trainers: Maha El-Metwally, Ioana Cornea, Darinka Mangino. AIIC Regional Event – Mexico City, Mexico
NCIHC 12th Annual Membership Meeting – Denver, CO
AIIC Legal Interpreting Committee | Symposium: Legal interpreting – Challenges and Solutions in the US and Europe – San Francisco, CA
June 7-July 5
Webinar: Tablet Interpreting: A five-part hands-on course. Presented by tablet-savvy interpreters Josh Goldsmith and Alexander Drechsel.
NAJIT 39th Annual Conference – San Francisco, CA
June 30-July 1st
AIIC USA : Understanding Marketing and Negotiating for Interpreters – New York, NY.
Webinar: Working with Interpreters: for Providers. Presented by court and healthcare interpreter Eliana Lobo.
Webinar: All of the Above – Preparing Interpreters for Computer-Based Exams on August 23 with Liz Essary, part of NCIHC Home for Trainers Webinar series.
6th Annual OHCIA Conference – Portland (OR). The Oregon Health Care Interpreters Association is hosting its 6th Annual Conference on August 25th, 2018. More details: http://ohcia.org/registration
TAHIT 2018 Educational Symposium – San Antonio, TX. Read more
DVTA East Coast Interpreters and Translators Summit – Wilmington, DE. Register
Orange County Educational Interpreters and Translators Conference – Costa Mesa, CA. Read more
Arizona Translators and Interpreters 2018 Annual Conference – Phoenix, AR. Read more and register
IAPTI 2018 Conference – Valencia, Spain
ATA 59th Annual Conference –American Translators Association – New Orleans, LA
International Conference ISIT: Discuss Interpreting – Paris, France.
CHICATA Interpreters’ Institute 2018 – More than Words: Keys to Success for Interpreters – Chicago, Illinois.
January 9-18 The Indigenous Interpreter: A Credentialed Training Program (Indigenous Interpreting+, a service of Natividad Medical Foundation) READ OUR POST ABOUT IT
February 16-17 Language Advocacy Day –hosted by the Joint National Committee for Languages and the National Council for Languages and International Studies (JNCL-NCLIS)
March 6–8 6th International Conference on PSIT/Community Interpreting and Translation Madrid, Spain
March 9–10 1st Hong Kong Baptist University International Conference on Interpreting Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong
March 25 Interpreter’s Toolkit: Note-Taking Strategies by Dr. Gloria M. Rivera – Webinar
March 26-29 think! Interpreting at GALA 2017 Amsterdam, The Netherlands
March 30 NCATA Meet-up: How to find language related projects and prospect employees? by Farah Arjang. Washington, D.C.
March 30 Bilingual Patient Navigation: The Next Step in Language Access – MATI 2017 Webinar Series. Presented by Cynthia Roat – Webinar
March-April 72-hour Indigenous Court Interpreter Training program by the Frente Indígena de Organizaciones Binacionales (FIOB). Trainers: Holly Mikkelson and Esther M. Navarro-Hall. Los Angeles, CA
April 15 Consecutive Interpreting Training with Virginia Valencia – by New Mexico Translators and Interpreters Association (NMTIA). Albuquerque, NM
April 29 Interpreter’s Kit – Medical Note-taking, by Gloria M. Rivera – Webinar
May 6 New England Translators Association (NETA) 2017 Annual Conference Boston, MA
May 19–21 NAJIT’s 38th Annual Conference Greater Washington DC
May 18-20 The Institute of Translation and & Interpreting (ITI) Conference Cardiff, UK
May-June 72-hours Immigration Interpreter Training program by the Frente Indígena de Organizaciones Binacionales (FIOB). Trainers: Esther M. Navarro-Hall and Rafael Carrillo. Los Angeles, CA
June 15-16 InterpretAmerica Summit
June 2-4 ]17th Annual IMIA Conference – International Medical Interpreters Association (IMIA) Houston, TX
August 3–5 ]FIT 2017 – XXI World Congress Brisbane, Australia
September 14 Five Essential Strategies to Collaborate with Pediatric Speech Language Pathologists, by Sarah Rodriguez, CMI & Anna Kulaski, M.S., CCC-SLP – California Healthcare Interpreting Association (CHIA)
September 19 Consec-Simo as a Tool for Consecutive Interpreting, by Maha El-Metwally
September 19 Introduction to Interpreting Ethics and Roles in Healthcare, workshop by Beverly Treumann, CHITM, CMI – California Healthcare Interpreting Association (CHIA). Downey, CA
September 23 The Anatomy of Simultaneous Interpretation Skills & Voice Training for Conference Interpreters – One-day workshop by Cyril Flerov (CHICATA). Chicago, Illinois
September 28-30 Lenguas 2017: International Forum for Interpreters and Translators Mexico City, Mexico
October 5-7 Third International Conference on Interpreting Quality (ICIQ3) Granada, Spain
October 25-28 ATA 58th Annual Conference Washington, D.C.
January 21-22 International Symposium: Bilingual Videoconferencing in Legal Settings Paris, France
January 23 Workshop: Voice Training for Interpreters and Voice-over Talent Workshop offered by the Northern California Translators Association (NCTA) San Francisco, California
January 30 ATISDA Workshop: Dragon Naturally Speaking San Diego, California
February 20 EPITA: Annual Workshop for Court Interpreters El Paso, Texas
March 11–12 CHIA 16th Annual Education Conference The Queen Mary, Long Beach, California
March 31–April 2 American Translation and Interpreting Studies Association (ATISA) VIII – Eighth Biennial Conference
Middlebury Institute of International Studies (MIIS) in Monterey, California
April 1-2 Symposium on Interpreter Training and Humanitarian Interpreting Melbourne, Australia
April 2 Carolina Association of Translators and Interpreters (CATI): 29th Annual Conference Charlotte, North Carolina
April 21–23 Court Interpreter Training Seminar National Center for Interpretation, The University of Arizona, Avondale, AZ
April 21–24VI Congreso Latinoamericano de Traducción e Interpretación Buenos Aires, Argentina
April 29–May 1 IMIA Annual Conference 2016 Boston, MA
May 13–15 NAJIT 37th Annual Conference 2016 San Antonio, TX
May 14 New England Translators Association (NETA): 20th Annual Conference Boston, MA
August 1-5 Spanish into English Conference Interpretation Refresher Course Buenos Aires, Argentina
August 15-27 Short courses for conference interpreters with English B London, United Kingdom
September 8 Life Hacks for Medical Interpreters
September 8-10 AIIC Workshop: Consecutive note-taking refresher York, United Kingdom
September 10 East Coast Interpreters and Translators Summit Philadelphia, PA
September 30 International Translation Day
October 1 2016 Regional Conference on Interpreting and Translation Novi, MI
October 27-28 Translating Europe Forum Brussels, Belgium
October 29-November 2 Association for Machine Translation in the Americas (AMTA) 2016 Conference Austin, TX
November 2–5 ATA 57th Annual Conference San Francisco, CA
November 2–6 Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing (EMNLP) 2016 Conference Austin, TX
December 3-4 Workshop Series: Quality Interpreting where Medicine and the Law Intersect (www.globatradu.com) Pomona, CA
December 15 Training for impartiality – How Interpreters Can Work Effectively with Gender & Sexual Minorities hosted by Elena Langdon with guest trainers Tim Moriarty and Jorge U. Ungo (NCIHC Home for Trainers Webinar Series) Webinar – 5:00 PM to 6:30 PM Central
November 4–7 ATA 56th Annual Conference Miami, FL
December 15 2:30-4pm (Eastern) USCIS Draft Policy Memorandum on the Role and Use of Interpreters [More information]
Comment Period: November 24, 2015 – January 8, 2016
- Events posted on the AIIC website
- FIT Calendar of events
- ATA Calendar of events
- Upcoming ATA Webinars
- CCHI Interpreting Industry Events
- NCIHC Home for Trainers webinars
- Interpreter Education Online – Webinars
- eCPD Webinars (UK)
- For local events, check your interpreters and translators association’s website