The industry stats say it all: the average person will increase their daily online video watching from 84 minutes in 2020 to 100 minutes in 2021, while the total time collectively spent viewing online videos has increased 32% a year on average since 2013.
The demand for audiovisual translation is growing rapidly. So, if you’re thinking of adding a new specialty to your services, this is a good one to vet.
These two webinars organized in collaboration with ATA’s Audiovisual Division that will give you the introduction you need.
Attend them live on February 24, 2021, or watch the recordings at your convenience.
Subtitling: How a Text Translator Can Become a Subtitler by Deborah Wexler
Subtitling is a translation job. You’re a translator. Shouldn’t that be enough? Actually, it’s not. When you’re translating a book or document, you have a single stream of text to deal with. When you’re translating a movie, you have two streams of information coming at you at the same time and are limited by reading speed and the number of characters allowed. And the differences don’t stop there.
Is this specialty a good fit for your business? Register now to find out!
You will learn:
- The differences between text translation and subtitling
- Subtitling formatting
- Basic functions of subtitling software
- The dos and don’ts of managing time and space constraints
- How to train yourself in subtitling
Closed-Captioning and SDH: An Introduction by Mara Campbell
The techniques of closed-captioning and subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing (SDH) are great entry-level tasks in the audiovisual translation industry. Presenter Mara Campbell will cover roll-up captions and pop-on captions with and without placement, as well as the pros and cons of available freeware and professional software.ATA Member: $45 – Register Here Non-Member: $60 – Register HereYou will learn:
- An understanding of how closed-captioning and SDH are produced
- The similarities and differences between the two
- The different types of closed-captioning and SDH
- Available freeware and professional software
- Qualifications and skill sets professionals need to have
Register for Both Webinars and Save!