Welcome! In this post, we will update and add publications of interest to the audiovisual community, be it books, journals, articles, websites, etc. If you have a publication that you want to share here, please get in touch with us, we’d love to showcase it!
Multilingua, Journal of Cross-Cultural and Interlanguage Communication,Volume 38, Issue 5 (Sep 2019), Special Issue: Audiovisual Translation as intercultural mediation, Guest Editors: Marie-Noëlle Guillot, Maria Pavesi and Louisa Desilla.
The Translation Studies Portal website, has several entries on audiovisual translation.
StatusQuaestionis has an issue dedicated to audiovisual translation, Issue No 15 (2018), “Exploring Audiovisual Retranslation.”
- The Journal of Audiovisual Translation (JAT) has published its inaugural issue and is open to receiving submission.
- Subtitulado del género documental: de la traducción audiovisual a la traducción especializada, book by María del Mar Ogea Pozo.
- Aspectos lingüísticos y técnicos de la traducción audiovisual (TAV), book by Juan Pedro Rica Peromingo (available in digital and paperback versions.)
- Audiovisual Translation: Terms and Concepts. Mashhad: Ferdowsi University Press (in Persian Language.)
- Accessible Filmmaking: Integrating Translation and Accessibility into the Filmmaking Process. Romero-Fresco, Pablo. 2019. London: Routledge.
- The Web of Subtitling: A Subtitling Process Model Based on a Mixed Methods Study of the Danish Subtitling Industry and the Subtitling Processes of Five Danish Subtitlers, PhD dissertation by Kathrine Beuchert.
- Linguistic, Cultural and Technical Problems in English-Arabic Subtitling, paper by Mohammad Thawabteh.
- Subtitling for deaf children: Granting accessibility to audiovisual programmes in an educational way, thesis by Soledad Zarate.
- Impact of automatic segmentation on the quality, productivity and self-reported post-editing effort of intralingual subtitles, paper by Anna Matamala, with Aitor Álvarez, Marina Balenciaga, Arantza del Pozo et al.
- The Reception of (Non)Professional Subtitling, Doctoral Thesis by David Orrego-Carmona.
- Collaborative Networks to Provide Media Accessibility: the Potential of Social Subtitling, paper by Noa Talaván and José Javier Ávila-Cabrera.
- Subtitling Norms in Greece and Spain. A comparative descriptive study on film subtitle omission and distribution, thesis by Stavroula Sokoli.
- The Perception of Culture through Subtitles, PhD thesis by Kristijan Nikolić.
- Report on the results of an online survey on subtitle presentation times and line breaks in interlingual subtitling Part 1: Subtitlers, paper by Agnieszka Szarkowska.
- Using translation process research to explore the creation of subtitles: an eye-tracking study comparing professional and trainee subtitlers, paper by David Orrego-Carmona, Łukasz Dutka, and Agnieszka Szarkowska, published by the JAT.
- Study proposal: Eye Tracking in Fansubbed Shows, paper by Shaily Zolfaghari.
- Fansubbing and creative subtitling – How amateur approaches can help improve professional products, paper by Ariane Cieglinski and Laurinda van Tonder.
- Fansubbing in Latvia and its Comparison to Audio Visual Translations, paper by Elina Trede.
- Technological strides in subtitling, by Jorge Díaz-Cintas, published in The Routledge Encyclopedia of Translation Technology.
- Fansubs: Audiovisual Translation In An Amateur Environment, paper by Pablo Muñoz Sánchez,
- The Translation of Graphemes in Anime in Its Original and Fansubbed Versions, paper by Daniel E. Josephy-Hernández, published in TranscUlturAl Journal.
- Analysis of Technical “Foul-ups” with Particular Reference to Arabic-English Subtitling, paper by Mohammad Thawabteh.
- The reception of subtitled colloquial language in Catalan: an eye-tracking exploratory study, paper by Anna Fernández, Anna Matamala, Anna Vilaró.
- Subtitling in game localisation: a descriptive study, paper by Carme Mangiron.
- Developing a model of process strategies in subtitling: Redefining translation strategies taking a process perspective, paper by Kathrine Beuchert.
- Audiovisual Translation Language Transfer on Screen, paper by Kate Khriapak.
- Integrating The Topic Of Audiovisual Translation Into The Curriculum For Translation Education In Indonesia, paper by Niken Paramita